Match Nights: Australian Open
Posted on February 8, 2021
G'day! You've arrived at our lovely hospitality suite at the Happy Slam. Before you head to your first-row seats, cool off for a bit and get ready with the following:
- Prepare your space: The most comfortable living room set-up, either solo or with fellow spectators. Our Front Row Super Series seats in Rod Laver Arena are padded, so make this set-up nice and soft.
- Pick a match: We're going back to 2009 for one of the matches that continually appears on “best matches ever” lists. Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco provided a left-handed battle for the ages in over five hours of a semifinal match. We suggest picking it up with Verdasco serving at 4–5 in the third. (To do this, skip to about 3 hours, 22 minutes on the video above.)
- Grab some food: Wherever you are, these late-night Aussie matches tend to run into the “morning”. With that in mind, and with an appreciative nod to the amazing breakfast offered at The Langham, we suggest a flat white paired with some bacon and eggs.
- Mix the drinks: We mentioned the flat white above, but if you’re looking for something to transport you to Melbourne Park we would also suggest an Aperol Spritz. Simply fill a large wine glass with ice, mix equal parts Prosecco (60ml) & Aperol (60ml) with a splash of soda (30ml) and a wedge of orange.
- Get dressed: The Aussie is fantastically casual and has an anything-goes approach to fandom. Don some shorts and a shirt, and maybe sport some flip-flops (or, as the Aussies call them, thongs or pluggers) around the house to complete the vibe.